Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care
The Department of Chaplaincy and Pastoral Care is a community of people from different cultural and religious backgrounds dedicated to Spiritual, Religious and Pastoral care at The Nairobi Hospital. The chaplaincy team provide a 24 hour Pastoral Care Service, as they attend to the Spiritual and Pastoral needs of patients, relatives of patients and hospital staff. Chaplaincy/Pastoral Care ministry is part of The Nairobi Hospitals holistic and multi-disciplinary approach to the healing of the whole person and is an essential element in total patient care.
Chaplaincy services are concerned with and upholds the importance of the holistic care of individuals by addressing the connections between physical, psychological and spiritual dimensions of well being.
Aims of the Chaplaincy Department:
Chaplaincy/Pastoral Care involves respect empathy and the development of trust in a confidential pastoral relationship. We believe in inviting people to live in the dignity of their own sacred space.
We endeavour to do this by:
- Affirming the individuality of each person.
- Being sensitive to patients vulnerability
- Fostering the patients own resources of hope, courage, faith, trust and love
- Providing the opportunity for each person to receive whatever guiding, sustaining, reconciling and healing they may choose.
- To offer guidance to patients and families in resolving issues, that involve ethical and /or religious values and concerns.
- Responding to patients specific religious needs.
The team offers:
- A service that is accessible day and night, including weekends.
- Daily visitation to all wards of the hospital.
- Liturgical Services in the hospital chapel
- Prayer Service on removal from the hospital mortuary and where possible other city mortuaries.
- Sacramental ministry is available at the bedside of all patients.
Roman Catholic Services:
Sunday : 8.30a.m. Celebration of Holy Mass.
Sunday : 9.15a.m. Service of Communion.
Monday — Friday: 6.45-&.15 Morning Glory
Monday & Thursday: 1.00-2.00p.m
Lunch time fellowship